- This event has passed.
16 weeks to draft your novel with Deborah Bailey
April 29, 2017 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
£140 NWS members/£210 Non-members
Writing a novel is — no doubt — a huge undertaking, and many beginning writers become bogged down in details or stymied in figuring out how to best develop a plot.
This series of workshops is designed to walk you through the process of writing your novel, with an aim to you having a complete rough draft by the end of two eight-week terms. Each class centres on the specific plot and character elements you should be considering at each particular stage of writing. With feedback on your work-in-progress, class discussions, and craft exercises designed to hone your skills, you will come out of these workshops a stronger writer with a draft under your belt.
Deborah Bailey is a full time freelance writer and editor. Over the past ten years, she has worked as a staff editor, a proofreader, a slush reader, an acquisitions editor, a developmental editor, an anthology editor, a ghost-writer, and a non-fiction self-help writer, and is currently a writing mentor as well as Chair of the Nottingham Writers’ Studio. She attended the Clarion Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers’ Workshop in 2012 and is currently finishing her first novel. Her short fiction is upcoming in Mirror Dance (spring 2015), and has appeared in Luna Station Quarterly, Wicked Words Quarterly, The Red Volume, and MicroHorror. She blogs at FourGreenSquares.wordpress.com, and you can follow her on Twitter at @4GreenSquares.
Given the ambitious scope, these courses will require a time commitment of around 10 hours per week, minimum, to enable you to have enough time for your own writing as well as critiquing classmates’ work. Please ensure your schedule can accommodate this pace.
NOVEL I – 8 weeks (11th February– 1st April 2017)
- Week 1: Plotlines and character arcs: assembling the pieces
- Week 2: Opening chapters: Establish the norm and introduce your character’s flaw
- Week 3: Inciting Incident: Disrupt the norm and starting the journey
- Week 4: Introducing antagonists, supporting characters and subplots
- Week 5: Act one end: first major setback
- Week 6: Act two opening: stakes and motivation
- Week 7: Raising the stakes: plot layers and complications
- Week 8: Mid-book reversal
NOVEL II – 8 weeks (15th April– 3rd June 2017)
- Week 1: Recovering from the mid-book reversal: a new direction
- Week 2: Spotlight on the antagonist
- Week 3: Piling on complications and making a run at solving the story problem
- Week 4: Major setback/all is lost moment
- Week 5: Gearing up for the final battle
- Week 6: Climax
- Week 7: Aftermath
- Week 8: What now? Edits, revisions and critiques
Please use the Paypal button below to book. You’ll receive a receipt via email, which we ask you to accept as confirmation of your booking.